Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bud Light may be drinkable, but Billy Joel is Relate-able

Whenever I read a book, watch a movie, listen to a song, or even talk to someone I think the most important quality is for me to be able to relate. This does not necessarily mean that I need to agree or that I would have acted/thought the same thing; it means that I can understand why a decision was made and it seems rational to me (I think being rational is real important.)

People can relate to Billy Joel and this is why he is the greatest celebrity and he epitomizes the true American Dream.

When most people who happen to be on Billy Joel's wikipedia page are asked what makes him great they would probably say one of the following accomplishments:

-He has 33 top 40 hits
-He wrote all of his hit songs single-handedly (probably the only pop artist to do this in the 90's)
-He has hits in three decades (70s, 80s and 90s)
-He was once married to Christie Brinkley
-Their is a Broadway musical based soley on his music
-He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

These may be the reasons he is successful on paper but it is not why people love him and it is not why he is the most relate-able celebrity. Here is a list of reasons why I believe people love Billy Joel and why he is a true American:


-He was successful after not graduating high school
-He has been divorced three times but continues to fall head over heals in love
-He not only drinks heavily, but has three DWI's
-He was screwed over for the first few years of his career (Piano man) and was still able to stick it to the man and get famous/make money
-His lyrics are clear and understandable
-He talks about real issues (not da club)
-He is real with people
-He wanted to have sex with Christie Brinkley but made sure it was clear he is nothing like her


I love Billy Joel and the song the Entertainer and he is the most relatable to the masses. I obviously have a hedonistic view of the American dream.


Runners up are Kevin Smith and Chuck Klosterman...check them out.

1 comment:

  1. People love him b/c he drinks and drives?! I was with ya' until there buddy haha

    ReplyDelete