Wednesday, September 23, 2009

How I Got Here

So it is 2:54am and I have been thinking a lot about how I need a hobby and I do not think that blogging is the solution... but it IS 2:54am and I am mad about tonight so my options are limited. This blog will probably fade after 5 or 6 posts but that is what I thought when I first started tweeting and I enjoy that so much it inspired me to get here. I also posted the first Facebook note of my life in the last two weeks so this is almost inevitable. Although this may keep my attention I would really appreciate anyone with any ideas for other hobbies to come forward sooner rather then later (or job opportunities for that matter.)

So back to tonight and why I was enraged. I would like to preface the story by explaining that I understand I may be wrong but this is about more then just coffee and $1.30. My friend Dan came home this afternoon because his school was being evacuated (this world is unreal) and we wanted to hang out and not spend any money. For those of you out there living pretty much anywhere (especially suburbia) you realize that this is an almost impossible task because if you are anything like me most of your time is spent driving around in circles, at a food establishment, or doing some illicit activity that costs more then it should. We decided our solution would be to go to the Mohegan Diner and get a cup of coffee with some free refills and chill out.

The reason that this is about more then a coffee is because the Mohegan Diner is basically where we all grew up. We went to the diner after every theater show, school dance, bad night, good night, snow day and even prom. I have probably spent more money there then I made throughout my high school career. When I went away to college the diner changed and prices went up and we all realized life was different but some of my friends still go there and we enjoy ourselves.

At the least its free refills on coffee, or so I thought...

We had four cups of coffee each and kept getting harassed about buying some food. After the the fourth cup we realized we had overstayed our welcome and asked for the check. We were again asked if we wanted to order food and politely declined. We were then given a check with four coffees (as I thought might have happened after the third cup of coffee when we both got different cups) and this made me livid. As I told this story to people and write it down I realize that I am wrong on paper. I got two free cups of coffee but as I said that isn't the point.

If I can not go to my diner and grab a few cups of coffee for the price of one what is this world coming to? And why do I not have anywhere else to go?

Feedback is appreciated...

3 comments:

  1. Okay so this is the most articulate rant I've ever heard from you Deaner...

    I think a great hobby would be visiting the island that is long to chill with your wonderful friends Crazy Nick and Noonan. Cleary could come down and we could have foolish tomfooleary. ps the title of your blog is clutch haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean, this blog is so you that it makes me so happy. We talked about blogging on the ride home and you did it! You also said you weren't a very good writer but this post proved that wrong. Keep writing. This was an enlightening rant...actually I wouldn't even call it that. It was more like a pondering. I also think it's funny that now all of your ads are for coffee. I hope this means something coming from me...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. obviously you should switch to tea

    ReplyDelete