Sunday, January 3, 2010

Maps?

So I got my second GPS for Christmas (the first one mysteriously disappeared, their may be a correlation between me not locking my car and the GPS missing.) For the record I still refuse to lock my car.

I digress...so I used my GPS like three or four times and I thought two things... 1)This device will make everyone dumber because they will not learn directions and depend on it. 2) The next generation of people will not be able to comprehend life before the GPS. This is like we have trouble remembering how people lived without the internet and cell phones.

Then I thought about how people got directions before the GPS...this is simple mapquest.com (or more recently the improved maps.google.com.)

But what about before mapquest?

I lived at least 7-8 years of my life with no computer and no internet and I can not imagine how directions were done without mapquest. I understand going around town and semi locally but it amazes me that people used maps and memorized directions for all trips. I can even vaguely remember my aunt giving us an hour of directions over the phone.

The world was a lot different, its interesting to see where its going.

I dont think this post makes any sense.

2 comments:

  1. "There might be a correlation b/w me not locking my car and the GPS missing"... pretty sure this made me giggle for 5 minutes. Oh Deaner... I still get lost even with a GPS b/c I get lost in my own thoughts... if I had to rely on maps and atlases I'd be royally f'ed as I have no sense of N,S,E,W

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a map of Allentown and a few of its surrounding suburbs... generally, anywhere we wanted to go would be on that map and my dad would just glance at it before he left to make sure. Otherwise, everything was all landmarks.... directions like "Yeah, go to the corner where the Burger King burned down two years ago and take a right."

    ReplyDelete