Thursday, February 11, 2010

Meeting People

I love meeting people. I even kind of miss being an obnoxious 15 year old in the Jefferson Valley mall or the Cortlandt Town Center that talks to everyone. The same people who I see and think, I can not believe I was one of those annoying little kids who think they are hot shit.

The reason I like meeting people so much is their is always so much ahead of the relationship (whether or not any type of relationship ever manifests.) When you meet someone their is a 50-50 chance (okay maybe not 50-50) that they can become your best friend or someone who you never see again. Everything that they say is so intriguing because you are trying to take the little knowledge you have about the person and build an entire back story. People learn about what they have in common and even more-so what makes them different. It especially helps that when I meet someone new I have an open mind. If a friend or acquaintance explained a theory or hobby I have a predetermined perspective on the ideas...this does not happen with new people.

I think the best example I could think of this is a college survival guide I once flipped through in Barnes and Nobles. One of the chapters one entitled "Beware of the Fake Relationship" ... or something like that. The idea is that when people see someone who they are attracted to they begin to create a back story and relationship that may be completely inaccurate. In the course of a philosophy lab you can see a cute girl, decide you have the same taste in music, think about how cool it would be if she came to a party at your house, debate whether or not your bad habits will bother her, plan out how you will defend your values and eventually decide not to even bother talking to her. It is better off to leave this without the unhappy ending.

I guess this blog does not have much of a moral...I just really enjoy meeting people and believe other people should too.

1 comment:

  1. I think this furthers my hypothesis that you know everyone.

    ReplyDelete